I got a vps with virtualmin installed, I recently upgraded clam antivirus using webmin/virtualmin, this resulted in the clamd failing to start.
After some research it turns out that I am running clamd with user clam instead of clamav. Yet yum upgrades clam with the user clamav and other directories in the configuration;
In short here is what I experienced after the upgrade (these must be changed back into the /etc/clamd.conf file):
- The user changed from clam to clamav
- The initial path to /var/lib/clamav changed to /var/clamav
The initial user (clam) was changed for the /var/run/clamav to clamav, this folder and it’s content have to be chow’ed back to clam
After this I was able to start clamd again.
Typical errors when trying to start clamd:
service clamd start Starting Clam AntiVirus Daemon: LibClamAV Error: cli_loaddb(): No supported database files found in /var/clamav
service clamd start Starting Clam AntiVirus Daemon: ERROR: Can't open /var/log/clamav/clamd.log in append mode (check permissions!)..
service clamd start Starting Clam AntiVirus Daemon: ERROR: Can't open /var/log/clamav/clamd.log in append mode (check permissions!). ERROR: Can't initialize the internal logger
One thought on “Yum clamav upgrade broken on virtualmin VPS”
Turns out that it might be because I enabled the dag and epel repos (I installed Munin) and it might have had a negative impact.
I used rpm –erase –nodeps proftpd and yum install proftpd which retrieved the right package from the virtualmin repo (not dag). sorted.
Comments are closed.